PALMA DE MALLORCA (SPAIN)
24 – 28 JUNE 2014
APPLICATION DEADLINE: BY ORDER OF PAYMENT
LATEST 6 JUNE 2014
CAT | ESP
The first International Composition Masterclasses ‘Ciutat de Palma’ aim to offer a varied and exciting musical experience. There are a number of activities throughout the course; individual coaching, ateliers, conferences, round tables, sound installations, daily concerts, electroacoustic music sessions, and workshops. Above all, we guarantee a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere for composers, performers and cultural agents to meet and share their ideas on music.
At the Mallorca Summer Academy we strive to discover and further develop new ideas about music education. Therefore, the International Composition Masterclasses ‘Ciutat de Palma’ proudly works in partnership with the ME_MMIX Festival; a professional platform also offered to every one of our students.
UMS 'n JIP ['umsnjip] is one of the most innovative and accomplished Swiss contemporary music ensembles. Founded in 2007 by Ulrike Mayer-Spohn [UMS] and Javier Hagen [JIP], it is yet, alongside Ensemble Modern, Ensemble Intercontemporain and the Kronos Quartet, one of the most active contemporary music ensembles worldwide, performing around 100 concerts every year.
UMS 'n JIP explore new musical and scenic settings for voice, recorder[s] and electronics ranging from live to digital performance as well as European to non-European music. Continuity matters: Pluriannual collaboration providing common research, rehearsals and recordings with the concerned composers as well as an exceptionally high amount of performances all around the world do result the works commissioned by UMS 'n JIP to be among the most often performed compositions of each composer. UMS 'n JIP is coached by Irvine Arditti. Continue reading
PARTNERSHIP WITH THE ME_MMIX ELECTRONIC MUSIC FESTIVAL
The ME_MMIX Festival (for electronic & mixed music and video creation) is an initiative from the Mayor of Palma de Mallorca and the Foundation Palma Espai d’Art started in 2013.
The festival retains a very close connection to new media in music and the arts. The programme presents and explores both traditional and current artistic topics that are important to artists and musicians today. The Majorcan composer Mateu Malondra Flaquer is the artistic director and coordinator of the ME_MMIX Festival.
Place for masterclasses: Centre Cultural Sa Nostra (Palma de Mallorca)
The cultural centre "Sa Nostra" is a multi-use space in the old town of Palma de Mallorca. The building has its own concert hall and conference rooms, where will be placed one piano for the individual lessons. Please find Sa Nostra's website by following this link: www.obrasocialsanostra.com/es/conoce
Place for ateliers and final concert: Casal Solleric (Palma de Mallorca)
The Casal Solleric is a beautiful XVIIIth stately home situated at the heart of the city. It is a unique space dedicated to contemporary artistic practice, one that continuous to inspire visiting musicians and artists on a yearly basis.
24 – 28 JUNE 2014. Click here to see the full programme
CALL FOR WORKS
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR COMPOSITION CLASSES
In addition to the application form:
• A list of completed works must be sent to: mallorcasummeracademy(at)gmail(dot)com
• As the number of applicants may exceed the number of available places, the academy can only accept the first 10 applicants. Notification places will be confirmed no later than 7th June 2014.
• The International Composition Masterclasses 'Ciutat de Palma' can offer scholarships for accommodation for selected participants. We however ask and advice you to check regional/national funding before applying to the Academy.
• Main language of instruction: Spanish will be the main language. Lessons can also be taught in English and French.
The organisation reserves the right to make any necessary changes to the course content. A change does not infer any right to withdraw from the course or claim compensation.
• Any cancellation: no reimbursement of 50€ to cover administration costs.
• Any cancellation after June 6th 2014: no reimbursement of tuition fee possible, unless the place can be used by someone else (a penalty fee of 50€ will be kept back to cover administration costs, in any case).
TUITION FEES & APPLICATION
Tuition fees: 280€ (the price include all the individual lessons + atéliers + UMS'n JIP workshops + access to all concerts and activities at the ME_MMIX Festival)
TO APPLY CLICK HERE